2007/10/13

photos: bart davenport, sam flax keener, the foxx

I've been going through my cds, lately, in an effort to slim down that collection. I came across an album by a band called The Rondelles which I had pretty much no memory of purchasing. I liked the girl group throw back name, but was a little wary of the Teen Beat imprint. I threw it in and quickly decided it was a keeper -- definitely ninties college indie stuff, but true to their name it has shades of girl group stuff throughout.

I lent it to my friend chriso and he told me that the front woman from The Rondelles had a new band called The Foxx and they were playing this week at The Hemlock. Oooh, creepy coincidence! The Foxx's top 8 features The Cuts and Gris Gris (in fact, Greg Ashley produced their new album) and their show at the Hemlock was with Bart Davenport and Sam Flax Keener (who, in fact, did the album art for the foxx's new record). The Foxx is from Albuquerque but they have some kind of serious bay area hookup so I think that makes them fair game for this blogggg.

Up first was Bart. Word on the street is he thinks this blog is too negative for some reason. Well, we feel bad about that because Bart is really nice and super supportive of whats going on in the bay area (I couldn't help but notice he was up front and dancing for all the bands at this show). While I'm not the biggest fan of Bart's recorded output, I do like seeing him play out. I think he was playing a lot of new stuff tonight and mentioned he's working on a new record. He's a great performer and those songs really shine when he's up on the stage by himself.

CIMG2581.JPG
Bart when he realized we were at the show!

CIMG2587.JPG

Next was Sam Flax & The Higher Color and I was not prepared for how good this band was. Sam makes an appearance in 5 guys by actually huizenga (and hard place too, actually) but he was rocking more Eno in his look than Bowie this night (its ok, affordable Bowie style is coming to Target). Holy glam rock! The emphasis was on rock though, although informed by some kind of weirdo early eighties art rock (maybe there was more Bowie than I thought). They hit the stage and their set was over before I knew it. I can't wait for them to play again.
CIMG2642.JPG

Last was The Foxx and it was a harder sell than I thought it was going to be, but they won me over eventually. I was disappointed because the song frenchy over on their myspace is some sort of Cheap Trick inspired power pop gem, but when you get down to it thats not really what this band sounds like. A lot more rock and roll, and rock and roll that hangs out at the bar a little too much at that. But oh man, these guys rip it up. This was one of the most fun shows I've been to lately. It was some kind of rock 'n roll talent show going on at the Hemlock this evening. Just look at how they were dressed!
CIMG2664.JPG

click here to see more photos!

1 comment:

M said...

Great pictures this time!