2008/04/06

I Love San Francisco!

Pictures from my Florida vacation.



Hi y'all. I'm back! Florida with the family was actually a heartwarming mix of mental illness, overeating, Alzheimer's, sunbathing, and alcoholism. I promised Jeremy Smears I'd post while I was on vacation basically laying around doing nothing the entire week but all of the above proved to be a tad overwhelming.




My parents 60Th anniversary was the reason for the celebration/get together. My sisters and brothers flew in from all over the country. (7 of us all together) My brother bought decorations and his little kids were so excited to put them up,


but they never went up. My mom declared that we all "shit on her" and refused to hang out with us. This meant my dad had to stay home and keep an eye on her. Some things never turn out the way you think they will! It was sad, no matter how much you prepare for it, your parents getting old is just not something you can prepare for. The following day Mom didn't remember telling us how disappointed she is in all of us and that we could all jump in a lake, she was happy to see me when I hung out with her on my last day there, she took me to the Goodwill so I could look for records while she scoured the knickknacks. After she bought a porcelain gravy boat with gold trim she asked me to hold it for her and a few seconds later questioned what was in the bag? "Did you buy something?" She had no recollection of picking it out and purchasing it only minutes earlier. Part of me identified, I find records I bought at home and have no memory of it, sometimes even buying the same record more than once, and it was weird, part of her is so lucid. My mom knew I lost a friend recently and she was so concerned for my friend Mike's family and made sure to tell me she was thinking of everyone and very sad at such a loss. Leaving for the airport, it was hard for me to say goodbye to everyone, tears unexpectedly welled up, but I am so happy to be home.

1 comment:

ohnochriso said...

Hey Tom, I know this blog is mainly fun and snarky but this post totally made me get kinda teary-eyed on your behalf. I have my own version of this going on with my parents so I can relate. I'm glad you got to spend time with your Mom though, even if some of it was difficult.