2008/02/28

The Bay Bridged - SXSW The Bay Area Leftovers



Whilst perusing other music blogs dedicated to the bay area scene I happened to notice that the Bay Bridged is sponsoring a day party at SXSW. They are calling it the Bay Area Takeover. I'm calling it the Bay Area Leftovers.

The only dim rays of light in an otherwise boring ass line-up are the aptly titled 60 Watt Kid and the Blacks. I went through and listened to the streams posted. Apart from the two bands I just mentioned, I thought I had found some long lost OC Soundtrack. Everything was so safe.

I know people love Two Gallants but I personally can't get past the drum sound. It is like someone wanking on a kit in Guitar Center. Let's hope the Texas Police toss 'em in the clink for more than just a few days this time around.

To me, the majority of these bands fall into the "but they're really nice" catagory.

Ahem...... Film School, Von Iva, Loquat. Yeah, their music is boring and I personally would not go see any of them or buy they're records but.....

they're really nice people! OK call me an asshole but a really good friend has enough substance to tell you when they do not like your band. Besides, it is just my opinion and I could completely wrong. Some of these people might not be so nice!

If these bands are going to take over anything, it's the cut out bin at your local record store.

I've been to these Bay Area showcases at SXSW before, they're attended by everyone from the bay area who happens to be in Austin. You might as well be at the Uptown in Oakland. Point me to the Neiman Marcus Last Call outlet and the Rainbow Cattle Company for ladies night.

Anyway, since a lot of people do like these bands, here's the poop:

(I do give props to the Bay Bridged for doing such a nice job with the web site, posting streams (for me not to like) and doing a really excellent job of promoting these groups. Too bad their taste is not more in line with my own.)

The Bay Area Takeover
Thursday, March 13th
Beauty Bar
Austin
noon-6
www.thebayareatakeover.com

1 comment:

ohnochriso said...

Hmm, it's like a mixture of bands that have gotten too much attention for far too long and bands I've never heard of but don't really care about once I listen to them. Funz!

I say this fully realizing that lots of people probably think my band is poo. World keeps on spinnin' and stuff.