2007/11/22

san francisco's synth punk and new wave past

Last night was the clap and Davell and the Transistors played, which is this guy's project. Other than the fact that we love the clap, this caught my eye because it seems that Mr. Dog Swan was in a band called the Long Shoremen which my friend, who also turned me onto The Units, had suggested I check them out as well. I never did because I could only remember that he had recommended two bands and that one was The Units, but when I saw the name in print I instantly remembered. I searched (a little) for some sounds on the internets but came up empty handed but did turn up that they were on subterranean records which I always hear mentioned but more in terms of being a record store of sorts. From the looks of the website, which was last updated in 2002, that may be no more. This led to a little more searching and I turned up this nifty article about SF synth punk on Terminal Boredom and a Trouser Press article which ties the Long Shoremen to Voice Farm which is another eighties SF synth band that egg city radio just posted about.

So there's a nice bit of reading there for you. Its like we're in school, which I'm sure is exactly what you're looking for in this blog! Anyway, Davell and the Transistors was a lot like how the Trouser Press described the Long Shoremen -- a poetry damaged art/sound experiment that I think he was channeling via some late night night UHF broadcast which he received via some bunny ear antenna helmet he made late at night in his bedroom. Seriously, although I have no proof that he channeled anything and he certainly wasn't wearing that helmet (the one he wore was cardboard). I'm not sure that review sounds positive, but it was funny and I liked it.

It was a little slow last night at The Clap, but the audience was full of people in bands; we saw Greg Ashley, Brian Glaze, an ex member of The Time Flys, and Penelope Houston. I don't know what that means really, except people in bands (and us at World Famous) don't have to worry about getting up on a Wednesday morning or anywhere to be for the holiday. Um, yeah.

No comments: