2007/10/22

photos: carletta sue kay @ club chuckles

I guess its appropriate that Carletta Sue Kay was on the bill at Club Chuckles, a comedy night hosted by the Hemlock, last week. Just look at that big dumpy dress she wears, that's got to be a joke. Right? Or, maybe, its because this Appalachian folkstress' (I made up a word!) cabaret stylings and songs about relationships gone bad fit right in this evening. I mean, there's always laughs to be had about relationships gone bad.

Supposedly, Carletta draws her inspiration from the time she spent serving time in Iowa for trying to blow up her boyfriend's house and possession of terrorist materials, but that just sounds like a cover story. Carletta made an appearance on the scene, suddenly, after her cousin Emile vanished. Perhaps this is just another in his long line of plastic surgeries? Either way, Carletta has tons of material to fuel her songs, and you know she's speaking from the heart when she sings "Love ain't love until someone calls the cops".

Whatever the deal is, Carletta was in fine form at the hemlock. First of all, they did a pretty cool Jesus and Mary Chain cover (but I guess that's just in the air, what with their two shows this weekend) which made me smile. But, also, stripped down to a three piece, the instrumentation didn't overwhelm the songs (which I felt it did other times I'd seen this band) and the focus fell squarely on the vocals, which is where it ought to be.

CIMG2681.JPG

CIMG2684.JPG

CIMG2690.JPG

see the rest here

1 comment:

M said...

I'm sad I missed this. I've never been to that comedy night. This would have been a good excuse.