2007/09/22

Vice Magazine Disses San Francisco Again (yawn)

Vice magazine, the free hipster bible from New York, reviewed Two Gallants' self titled record out Tuesday on Saddle Creek. They gave it a good review, which surprises me because Two Gallants just did this huge tour with Les Claypool.


If you're a rich gay Asian, San Francisco is mecca. If you're anyone else, it's a smoldering cesspool of dinks, douches, and other assorted wieners pretending to enjoy third-rate living at first-rate prices. But just like gold rises to the top in a bowl of shit (I made that up), Two gallants have emerged from the mess and continue, with this, their third LP, to blow all the other current drum-guitar combos out of the water. That's right - all of them. JIM RICE

Do you think they're right about San Francisco?


I have to say, I can't completely get behind Two Gallants. I don't really like jam bands, and I don't like over emotive post-Modest Mouse singing. And they're kind of both. I don't really know where this kind of singing started. I've never been interested in those bands. Could someone clue me in? It reminds me of the post-Eddie Vedder singing... where everyone adopted this weird twang in their voice. You still hear it today sometimes. Ew.

I do respect Two Gallants hustle. They're totally cool in my book. Check out their impressive past show history. It doesn't even seem comprehensive, the show I did with them isn't even listed!

Watch this video that pokes fun at the whole hipster/Vice/American Apparel generation, if you haven't seen it already:

No comments: