2007/08/16

Olympia is Annoying


I'm usually SO annoyed by bands from Olympia. You know why? I'll tell you why: they have it TOO easy! Olympia is the home of K Records and Kill Rock Stars. So it's easy for a mediocre band from the small-ass town of Olympia to get a deal with either of these prestigious labels. All the college radio stations cream their pants for anything with the K or KRS stamp of inde approval. I've seen it before. Why can't Olympia be like any other town? Why can't they have great unsigned bands that break up after not releasing anything?


Fierce Perm is one of those rare bands from Olympia that actually rule. They're not on K or KRS yet... but they deserve it. They played at LADY!! last night, which was pretty rad. It was my first time seeing the band, and I was really impressed. They were really punk rock in the ideal sense. They made their own kind of punk rock. The drummer was gorgeous. He's not my type or anything, but he looked really cool playing the drums. There should be a welfare program for gorgeous drummers. The government should send a check to him because he really shouldn't be doing anything else.


Carletta Sue Kay played right before the perm. Instead of their full rock band, there were only two of them. I liked it better than their show I saw a week earlier at the Eagle. I payed closer attention. Their song selection was phenomenal and they really committed to overindulging. Plus their outfits were OTT.

I'm really sorry to report that I missed Woman of Color. I was drinking white wine at a friend's house. I was not aware of the time. Elton Tom said he really loved their MP3's. We'll report on them soon... I'm thinking they need to create a high-concept MySpace page first.

7 comments:

Jeremy Smears said...

Randy totally rules at playing dress up! Awesome review Myles! I'm sad I had an old man moment and didn't go.

ohnochriso said...

Thank you on the Olympia comment! I think at one point it was great when all these local Oly bands got "signed" to K or KRS - i.e. the early 90s when there was a ton of great stuff coming out of there. Now? Not so much.

Unknown said...

i think you might be out of date with your perception that lots of olympia bands get easily signed to KRS and K. i checked out the current rosters of each label as posted on their websites - near as I can tell the only artists on K are Arrington DeDionyso and Calvin Johnson. And there are ZERO bands from Olympia on the KRS roster.

Unknown said...

amendment to my last comment - i meant to say "the only artists on K from OLYMPIA at Arringot and Calvin."

M said...

Still two bands is too many! There are only like five people that live in Olympia. The perm need a deal ASAP.

DEAD EYE said...

actually, fierce perm are on man dagger. we just recorded a 7" with them and we're putting out a full length in april/march. . . so there! JUST EAT IT. IF IT GETS COLD, REHEAT IT!

M said...

Are Man Dagger putting out Bearforce1 too?