2008/04/23

show review: Mayyors @ The Eagle (4/18)

I got to the Eagle just as Traditional Fools started. I'm kind of glad I was wound up about getting to this show because I enjoyed this. They were fun, a party band. I mean, ok, it was just more garage stomp but they were cute, young, sloppy, enthusiastic, catchy and the songs are all super short.

So, Mayyors. This band has no website, is on a label with no website, and their debut seven inch is already "sold out". I think sold out is an exaggeration, I know it was for sale at the show as I saw that all black sleeve floating around in people's hands. But still, people were definitely buzzing. The eagle was packed. After the show, within ten minutes of posting the photos I had a spike in traffic. Whatever it is these guys are doing to get their name out there is working.

So what did I think of the show? I liked it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. "I liked this" is actually all I have to say. There are reference points, but my mind is content not to make the connections. Its like I'm stuffed after a big meal, but that doesn't really help you. I'll try.

This shit is rock (no roll). You know the sound; hard guitar, screamo vocals, tweaked screachy solos. The band is pretty severe on stage -- loud and kind of threatening. John Pritchard (who was in Sexy Prison which is one of my favorite band names) fronts this band, and his antics made me think of the singer from Hank IV. The bassist is aggressive with his bass. The guitarist, Chris Woodhouse, liked to come to the edge of the stage, eyes glazed over, zombie stance, and flatten you with guitar. When he wasn't doing that he was assuming some other insane position. At one point I saw him in the most severe Ramones stance (it was almost a split). I looked away for a second and when I looked back he was still in that stance, but the guitar was on his shoulders and behind his neck and he was still playing like he was Jimmi Hendrix or something! So, yeah. I liked this. You should totally check them out this Friday when they play the Hemlock.

Mayyors

Mayyors

No comments: