2008/03/17

show review: lumerians, citadelle, the interchangeable hearts

Monday Night Smile is the best. Totally the best! I love going out on Mondays, its like Presidents Day. And this Monday was extra cool because The Interchangeable Hearts, Citadelle, and Lumerians played and The Vortex Room did the visuals. I got some neat photos this time maybe you should go look at them!

First was Interchangeable Hearts and I heard somebody bagging on the band before they started. I was totally surprised because almost everybody I've talked to recently says you shouldn't bag on local bands because they have it hard enough. Anyway, based on what I heard I thought I wouldn't like this band. And, their brand of pop (like, an indie rock Carly Simon) isn't my favorite, but I liked this girl's voice and her keyboard playing. I shall be keeping an eye out. And word on the street is they have a record release show in April at the The Hotel Utah.

CIMG4059.JPG

Next was Citadelle. Everybody was there to see them. They were on tour, or actually it seems like they've just moved here. They are obviously plugged into some scene I don't know the first thing about as I had never heard of them. They played a sort of heavy seventies psych that was (... sigh, is still) super popular and people cared like it was 2001 and this were Comets on Fire (if it were 2001 I think I'd be saying they were better than Comets on Fire). That means I thought they were really good for what they did, I'm just not feeling the heavy seventies in my light thirties.

CIMG4133.JPG

Last was Lumerians. I thought the performance was pretty good. They play a psych drone fuzzfest kinda thing, but with some sonic youth (or some other song based group) worship thrown in. I could have done without the hissy fit they were throwing over the persistent feedback issues they were having. Obviously that is frustrating, but did it really detract from the music they were playing? Not as much as they might have thought. Which is maybe a problem -- whats going on under all that fuzz? I'll have to check out the music on the myspace.

Based from what I saw though, I might describe them as "What if Wooden Shjips were as awesome as everybody says they are?". And thats not so bad.

CIMG4232.JPG

way more here, super cool!

1 comment:

Bubeau said...

I agree. Monday nights at Smile are The Best.