2007/12/15

Bridez redifine wedding music




I went and saw Bridez last night.

They played at this invite-only apartment/art-space going-away/birthday party. There were big party bottles of vodka, balloons and lollipops. Spice Girls and Blink 182 were played full blast on a small portable CD player at the bar. There was lots of posturing and outfits - in a good way. Lots of young people taking the typical Polaroid photos - feeling like their life was important and worth documenting. It was kind of cute and optimistic.

So Bridez, formerly known as Wild Gold and Wildflowerz, make this really awesome dumb rock. I'm not really sure what it is. All I know is that I like it WAY better than lead singer Liza's first band, So So Many White White Tigers. Liza basically does the same thing in this band: she makes this really squelchy sound with her voice that kind of sounds like a thermin by the time it comes out of the PA. She sings like that while doing physical comedy: throwing things, pouring drinks on people, and generally just being really in-your-face. You ether hate it for being too brash, or love it for reminding you of why you love loud music.

Well, I definitely love Bridez. They have a lot going for them. The boys in the band are super young - I'm talking under 21. Guitar player Will actually plays power chords and seems to tune his guitar in standard tuning... thank God. I was getting so sick of loud noise bands in San Francisco that took the Thurston Moore way too seriously and decided to reapproach the guitar by way of Sonic Youth. Drummer Phill's playing style is pleasantly generic while still finding a way to be very expressive and fun. In the final analysis, they look statuesque on stage and that's something that will never go out of style. Whether or not that transfers onto a recording... we'll just have to wait and see. A great album would be their ticket out of being the cool urban houseparty band of the moment, but I don't get the feeling they're concerned about being anything more than that.

Bridez play Cafe Du Nord January 26th with White Williams... who is now famous?

1 comment:

Jeremy Smears said...

Yeah, he is. Along with Dan Deacon and Girl Talk. Girl Talk whom Pitchfork 'made'. I have to like Girl Talk because he's from Pittsburgh. I guess I don't have to, but I choose to.

Anyway, they're all famous now, these little digital white party kids. I just heard on the radio this morning that Dan Deacon is playing the Great American which seems way to big a venue. I don't get it.