2007/09/11

Photos: Colossal Yes, The Mantles, Devon Williams



This show was fun. Apparently The Mantles have been around for a year, can fill the Hemlock, and have a record out. They play a garage-y kinda paisley underground fair. A garage rock band from Oakland? I liked them though. This was the first time I'd ever heard of them -- I'm so out of touch.

Anyway, Colossal Yes is, apparently, half of The Cuts -- Andy and Garrett (aka Sgt. Party! of the excellent Rockpile) -- although their myspace doesn't claim they've ever played with Andy before. Wow, a special show! It kinda was, these guys couldn't stop laughing the whole time and I ended up having a great time watching them even if I don't really 'get' Colossal Yes and their soft rock stylings. I should say I don't really 'get' soft rock stylings at all. I don't, so stop talking to me about Steely Dan already!

Oh, and Devon Williams from down L.A. way was my favorite act of the evening. They played sweet pop songs with some nice string arrangements, with some nice reverb laden guitar (a la the early Church sound) and held down by a strong rhythm section. Kinda awesome, check out Elevator or How Could I Not on the myspace.

No comments: