2007/09/26

Gangsta Queen "Spoonful of Gangsta" + homohop


photo by Damani Moyd


Gangsta Queen grew up in Las Vegas and now lives in Los Angeles. Supposedly she worked at Circus Circus as a clown, but was fired for wearing too much make up. When I saw Gangsta Queen live, she totally rocked the party. I loved her. I was excited to get home and listen to some of her songs on MySpace... but was a bit disapointed when I didn't recognize my favorite song from her set. Luckily today she posted it. It's called Spoonful of Gangsta. And it's kind of perfect. It's silly but delivered in a really whiney way. It could be the worst song in the world, but for some reason it works. Maybe its because of great lines like "If you wanna be my man, take me to Disney Land" and "I do my thing, but I don't do dishes." Or maybe it's the ridicolous smooth jam drum beat coupled with the West Coast high pitched synth. Who knows.
- - -

But for the most part - queer rap totally blows. Sorry guys. I've had my eye on it for a while. I could only get behind one artist, Foxxjazell, on the traveling "homohop" festival Homo Revolution Tour 2007.

Get On the Grind by Foxxjazell

- - -

Now, I don't wanna be negative, but since this IS a San Francisco music blog, I feel incline to talk about San Francisco's JFP (Julie Fuckin' Potter) - who was also on the Homo Revolution Tour. I don't want to hate, but I really dont like JFP. To give her credit: she has one okay song, Server Homies, which is about working in a restaurant. But most of the JFP songs only serve to assert her machismo and fake accent - in a preachy but not-to-be-taken-seriously kind of way.

2 comments:

Donna Lethal said...

Anyone fired for wearing too much makeup at Circus-Circus is my kinda gal. I once got married in Las Vegas. Not recommended.

ohnochriso said...

It is kind of sad how totally baaaad most queer hip-hop is. Cringingly so. I'm also of the mind that it's generally a better idea for white people not to rap. Not always, but in many cases.

I have lately been kind of blown away by the badness of all this white, queer hip-hop that is coming out of the Pacific Northwest and stuff - mainly Olympia. It makes my ears want to jump off of my head.