2007/06/19

chrome review: finally!

CIMG1596.JPG
see more here

Really, either Elton or I should write something about last week's Chrome show at the Hemlock. It was great. Epic maybe. It was, most certainly, an event. Possibly it could have been a little louder, but whatever. Promotion around the shows last week seemed, oddly, nonexistent. I remember a few years ago Chrome played the Great American and this was definitely a big deal; I know I randomly saw this year's show on the Hemlock's calendar while looking for something else. Perhaps the kids are already too cool for Chrome? I doubt it, because not only were these guys better than many in the current crop of SF bands, but When I mentioned that I was going to see Chrome on Saturday the reaction was generally along the lines of "Chrome? No way! They rule! They're playing??".

In a way, it was kind of awesome that nobody knew Chrome was playing because first up was Battleship and I didn't want to have to see them. I'd seen these guys a few years ago at Balazo with The Mae Shi and had a really good time (although, The Mae Shi stole the show that night). However, I've contemplated seeing Battleship a few times since, but every time the songs on their myspace sound like so much post hardcore blah blah with vocals that I hate so, I find something else to do. The plan is, then, to try and show up at the optimum time. The time when the show hasn't sold out but Battleship has played. Which is silly. Even though nobody knows this show is going on I'm neurotic and have to show up early -- I mean, what if it sells out? We're firmly on time for Battleship, but I decide that's cool because I did really like them that other time I saw them. And the band itself ends up being pretty good. Dynamic, aggressive, angsty. But then the vocals kicked in and it was all macho and it did not work for me. And neither did the vocalist's haircut -- that's probably neither here nor there but I had to get it off my chest. Anyway, in the end it was a similar experience to the recorded material, the vocals won out and we had to find something better to do at the bar.

The second it's safe, we were back inside and upfront and ready for Chrome to take the stage. Helios Creed and company came out in white containment suits and bowler hats. They killed the lights, turned up the amps, and kicked out the motherfucking sci-if jams. Helios' guitar work is amazing, its simultaneously all over the place and holding down a three chord song. The vocals are treated even more than on the recordings, contributing to that paranoid closed in feel. Some of you may be wondering about The tape loops Chrome used. OK, there was a guy on keyboards and up until this moment I wondered what he was up to. At first I assumed he was running the effects for the band, but it seemed like everybody managed themselves, so he must have been providing samples or, maybe, actually playing keyboards. It didn't matter, it couldn't be heard. Maybe we were standing in one of those awkward spots up front where the mix is horrible, or maybe a certain venue needs a better PA. Whatever, it isn't that the tapes weren't missed, but there was a lot to take in. There was definitely early stuff and Helios Creed solo stuff, but over the course of the evening it all bled together. I mean that in a really good way. We were on a paranoid space exploration with a crazy light show and a rhythm section. This was easily one of the best shows this year.

1 comment:

Legs Giniger said...

I'm so glad you finally reviewed. That show was so supremely disorienting, and deeply deeply trippy, in a nonaffected way. I really could barely find the ground with my feet after. Live Chrome = Special K?