2007/05/21

blog war

What is up with boring music blogs? A quick search of the hype machine or elbo.ws reveals page after page of blogs talking about the exact same music that can be read about on pitchfork. Most of the time, and I know I'm out of step with the rest of the kids, I didn't care about it when I read it on pitchfork.

Here are two blogs out of SF which especially irk me:

www.stereoscope.fm -- why not just take this whole site down and put a link to pitchfork in its place?
www.indiebears.com -- the same could be said here, except these guys have the good sense to atleast inject their own personal stories into the mix. Hilariously, (unintentionally so?), the first thing these bears talk about is eating and the last thing they talk about is eating. Write what you know I guess...

Here's three blogs I like (one from SF, two from LA):

cobaininacoma.blogspot.com -- a radio show, music video mondays and entries about acts local to SF and LA make up for detailed reviews of the new LCD soundsystem record.
www.eggcityradio.com -- formally postpunkjunk. Apart from his prog fascination -- a cable access show, obscure album rips, themed semiweekly mixes. Fun!
www.donnalethal.com -- While this isn't really a music blog, ms. lethal is seriously funny and name checks Reid Paley, whom I don't really like but is a name I haven't heard since I left Pittsburgh.

2 comments:

ohnochriso said...

I don't think you understand - if I can't read as MANY articles and reviews as possible abour Arcade Fire's new album then how am I to learn about this incredibly obscure indie band???

Donna Lethal said...

good heavens! you can bet i'm no music blog ... i could never live up to the stress (or infamy.) reid paley is the man responsible for my guitar playing, which is a pretty nasty thing to attribute to someone.